Academic Integrity Declaration 2013
HCI takes a serious view of and
is fully committed to uphold academic integrity and protect the scholastic
culture of the school. Any breach of integrity by students will be severely
dealt with. This is essential as a high standard of integrity is fundamental to
promote a healthy learning environment, a vibrant research culture, encourage
creativity and innovations, and more importantly to prepare students for
Plagiarism: attempts to pass off as
your own work, whole or part, the work or ideas of another person or
institution, without proper acknowledgment of the source.
Collusion: attempts to copy from another
person’s work, with or without his knowledge.
Cheating: attempts to give or receive
information during an exam; possession of unauthorized materials (notes,
dictionary, electronic devices) during an exam; and alteration or fabrication of
marked work or reports.
Academic integrity-related offence:
Plagiarism, Collusion and Cheating
*The term “Exam” includes test,
term paper, and assignment, either given in class or online.
Penalties for academic integrity-related offence:
- A maximum of 10 demerit points and/ or not more than 5 strokes of cane;
- Marks for that particular exam would be nullified;
- A letter of reprimand would be sent to the parents;
- Student would be required to attend compulsory counselling with the school counselor; and
- Student would be disqualified from all awards for the rest of the time he is in Hwa Chong.
- Penalty for second offence: Expulsion.
- The penalty imposed would be at the discretion of the Principal and the Discipline Committee.
I have read and understood the above statements. I pledge to be a
student of high integrity at all times.